Monday, March 10, 2008

Baby Reflux

I receive a lot of complements on how happy and easy going my baby is. I've also encountered a lot of people who are surprised that I don't place anything on my clothes when I burp her. I let them know that I have never had a problem with her reflux or vomiting. I burp her after every feeding and keep her in an upright position for at least an hour after eating. In fact she sits up just as much as my husband and I do because we hold her, prop her or place in her in the swing. I've had some serious problems with acid reflux in the past so I know from personal experience that eating and lying down are big no-no's. Not only will the food come back up, but it will burn your throat, and also make you feel nauseous. I hear my people talk about how the excessive amount of gas makes their baby fussy. My baby is very gassy, but she gets it all out. What do you expect? She is drinking milk all day. You would be gassy too :-)

It's not the gas that makes the baby cry; it's not getting the gas out. When I was pregnant, I went 3 days without passing gas or making a bowel movement. I was so miserable I just knew that I was going to die. I noticed that a change in position always help the pain go away momentarily. With my newborn daughter I make sure that she not only sits up, but that she spends some time on her stomach, on her back, on her side, and at different angles. I raise her legs throughout the day and give her stomach a firm press if it seems overly full. So moms and dads, before you change your baby's milk or ask the doctor for a miracle drug, try some common sense remedies to make sure that you are not missing the obvious.

No comments: