Sunday, April 6, 2008

Period While Breastfeeding :-(

Despite making 30 ounces of milk a day, my period returned. All the internet articles assured me that unless a lactating mother reduced the amount of breastfeedings and/or production of milk, the menstrual cycle would continue to be in an arrested state. At first I thought I was having a temporary response to the hormone adjustment in my body, but when I continued to get a big hello every 2 weeks, I called my OBGYN. I was given 3 choices. Take birth control pills to regulate my cycle, schedule a Mirena IUD implantation or deal with it. Although I'm still deciding, I will probably take the "wait and see" approach. My husband and I want to conceive at the end of 2008 and do not need any unnecessary obstacles. I say all of this to say, take every thing you read and learn with a philosophical "grain of salt." You may be one of the chosen few who experience the exception to the rule.

P.S. Your milk supply is going to drop dramatically during your period. Keeping pumping and/or breastfeeding, but you may also want to give your baby a bottle (breast milk or formula) to make sure they are getting enough nourishment. About 3 days after my period has stopped, my milk supply is back to normal.

No comments: