Monday, June 30, 2008

When Should you Feed Your Baby Food?

As most of you know my daughter started rice cereal at 2 weeks. She is now 6 months and has progressed to pureed foods. Breastmilk is still her main source of nutrition, but she definitely enjoys the satiating feeling of hardy solids. Today I made rice, baked chicken and italian beans for dinner. To prepare my daughter's food, I added water and pureed for 5 minutes. Although store bought baby food can be very convenient when you are tired or in a hurry, it only takes a few minutes to prepare food from your own kitchen. Every child is different due to health concerns and parental philosophy. Always consult your child's pediatrician if you are unsure of nutritional recommendations made by any one. Below are some general guidelines for beginning solids.

1. Start when baby can lift and hold head unsupported
2. Child has lost the tongue thrust reflex
3. Baby is 4 to 6 months
4. He/She stares at you and your plate during dinner time (LOL)
5. Baby grabs food from your plate and stuffs it in their mouth (My daughter did this to me)

No comments: