Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Happiest Baby on the Block

Patty had a doctor's appointment today. While one of the female assistants was checking her she began talking about her own child and asked if I had read the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block." She raved about how it saved her life. I was very intrigued because although I have a fairly calm child, I always look for ways to improve my parenting and new techniques that are more efficient. When I get home, I googled the book and what do I find....a bunch of basic concepts that you should have learned from your mother or received from the hospital staff. I sarcastically told my husband what the book recommends. He laughed and said "maybe she didn't go to those prenatal classes." So for those of you who missed the basics and are pulling your hair out, here are a few tips that should have you feeling better in no time:

Swaddle
Wrap your baby in her favorite blankie as if she was a caterpillar in a cocoon. My daughter is swaddled every night and placed on her back. This helps her calm down and get into a deep sleep.

Stomach
If your baby can roll over or turn his head from side to side without getting caught in the covers, let him sleep on his tummy. In the day time, I let my daughter sleep on her belly since she has excellent head control.

Swing
Rock your little one back and forth when it's time for a nap or consider using a mechanical swing when you are tired.

Suck
Babies have a natural reflex that makes them want to suck. Give them a bottle or a pacifier. If they take either then the problem has been addressed.

Shush
Now I do not do this because it does not work for me. However some people find that making the "shush" sound calms their baby.

One thing that I must add to the list is that my daughter needs a night light. From day one if we turned off the light at night time she woke up and screamed like a banshee. I soon learned that the tv must stay on with the volume turned down. I could buy a real night light but I like to wake up to the home shopping network's latest doo hickey. Other things that you can also do to help is changing the baby's diaper, walking the baby, letting the baby cry for a few minutes and massaging the baby's stomach. There are many techniques to help your baby relax, but ultimately you have to interpret your child's cries, coos, facial expressions, and body language to determine the best choice.

No comments: