Saturday, February 2, 2008

Support System with Newborn Child

I have always known that having a healthy support system of friends and family is a basic requirement of a successful life. However this did not hit me over the head so forcefully until this week. I grew up in a large family where having 5 or 6 children is the norm. There were always people available to help take care of the kids whether it was preparing a bottle, watching them while mom went to the store or just playing with child so dad could get a moment of peace. Now that I have my little girl I realize how important the concept of "it takes a village" truly is. I am with my baby 100% of the time with a few short breaks when her dad comes home. Every single friend and family member is over an hour away. Gone are the days when I could just hop in my car to go the store or take my time with eating. Using the bathroom when it is an emergency has taken a back seat the grunts and cries of the baby. My husband came home last night and said "Does she cry like this in the day time?" I smiled and replied "Yes." He is now saying that being home alone with her all day is a bit too much for anyone and that maybe I should put her in day care part time. Although that sounds like a good idea it exposes her to unnecessary illnesses and influences that can easily be avoided. I love my little girl with all my heart but I would be doing every mother a disservice by saying that I am never exhausted by caring for her. Oh well I guess I will have to pay $3/gal and start taking some long one hour drives every week.

No comments: