Monday, January 28, 2008

Infant Baby Fever

It's the season for colds, flu, and every thing in between. I was on a disinfection mission last week as my husband sneezed his sickness into the air. I warned him about not taking the flu shot, but as a man he boasted that he has never had the flu. Well something had him in bed from Wednesday to Sunday and it definitely wasn't the common cold. As for me I'm doing great. However my little girl just developed a slight fever of 99.3 (Fahrenheit) today. I was a little panicked because they informed me that if she developed a fever before 2 months she would automatically be placed in the hospital for 48 hours of observation. I did a little internet search while waiting for the pediatrician to come back from her lunch break and I'm feeling a little less anxiety. Her pediatrician is taking a lunch break at the moment so I have to wait for a while. I checked out a few internet resources and I'm feeling better now.

The following information is from http://www.babycenter.com/0_fever_84.bc

"A temperature reading isn't the only indication of whether a fever is serious. Your baby's age is a factor (fever is more serious in babies under 3 months), as is his behavior (a high fever that doesn't stop him from playing and feeding normally may not be cause for alarm).
Keep in mind that everyone's temperature rises in the late afternoon and early evening and falls between midnight and early morning. The natural cycle of our internal thermostat explains why doctors get most of their phone calls about fever in the late afternoon and early evening.
Ask your baby's doctor when she'd like you to call if your baby has a fever. Common guidelines are:

• If your baby is less than 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4 degrees F (38 degrees C) or higher, call the doctor immediately. A baby this young needs to be checked for serious infection or disease.

•For a baby between 3 and 6 months old, call if his temperature reaches 101 degrees F (38.3 degrees C) or higher.

• If your baby is 6 months or older, call if his fever reaches 103 degrees F (39.4 degrees C) or higher."


Before I finished this article my daughter's fever was gone. LOL.

No comments: