Friday, December 21, 2007

Wow

The doctor attempted to turn the baby (which was excrutiating) but she turned right back around. I was hooked up to an IV and urinary catheter, then whisked away to an operating room for a spinal block to prepare for a recommended cesarean. A anesthesia was administered and I lost all feeling from the chest down. Of course during all of this my blood pressure was sky rocketing and I was shaking like a leaf. I think I may have been having an anxiety attack. Fortunately my husband was right there with me holding my hand. After they removed her from my uterus and checked her vitals, my husband took a few pictures and then he accompanied the baby and staff to the nursery where she was dressed. Still I had not physically seen my precious daughter. I was rolled back to my room and waited a good 30 minutes until my husband and child were returned to me. Even though most of my birth plan was thrown out the window due to circumstances, the hospital staff was excellent. Every one was very kind and helpful during my week long stay. The only complaint that I have is one nurse who was a bit overzealous. She insisted that I was starving the baby because I was not producing enough milk. Thankfully no one else had this opinion, including the pediatrician. I'm now home breastfeeding very successfully.
P.S. I will share in the next couple of days why she could not turn :-(

No comments: